Paul Hill (Digital) Research

Paul Hill Digital Research

Paul Hill was born in 1941 in Ludlow, Shropshire. He has worked for a newspaper as a reporter where later he became a freelance photographer in 1965. He has worked for many big companies such as, BBC, The Telegraph and The Guardian.  Hill and his wife were the first to open a residential photography workshop in their home. They live in the Peak District where he travels all over the country to teach and perform workshops in places like Shropshire, Cumbria and Nottingham.
Paul Hill is very passionate about photography and he has even been a lecturer at Trent polytechnic in 1974. 1994 Paul Hill was awarded a MBE by the Queen for his services to photography. He produced his landscape project during 1979- 1989. A lot of Hills work was taken in the Peak District where he lives.

This image presents a countryside field divided by a stone wall. Where the fields are on a hill a big puddle has evolved in the rain over time. In the right hand side field there is a horse grazing. I like how there are big shadows made by the wall, which gives me the impression the photo was taken in the late afternoon. I like the difference in the contrast between the stone wall and the hedge in the foreground next to the road. The image makes me feel happy and pleasing as the shadows show it was sunny and a nice day.




This image is taken on the top of a hill in the countryside. The image is look as if it was taken on a sunny day. Although, it looks quite overcast due to the cloud. This image is a lot brighter then the photo above. I actually prefer this image to the image above as there is less contrast. I like the texture of the ground in the foreground as it is uneven and there is dips in the ground where water lays in heavy rain.



After the rain

My Images 
I related my images to Paul Hills images by turning them black and white like his. I related my images to his work by taking landscape photos and turning them black and white.  I tried to create a similar effect that Paul Hill used. Here is one of my images inspired by Paul Hill. I took photo in the Lake District and edited my images in the same way as Hill does. I think my and Hills work are quite orderly. I think our work is quite relateable to each other. I like this photo because of the way the field have been divided up for the use of the farmers to graze the livestock. I like the unevenness of the section as they are not regular shapes as some have straight walls and others have curved boundaries. I also like the cloud line above the mountains which makes it uncertain of whether it is a good day or a bad day. These are two of my final digital photos.



This photo is another photo that I took related to Paul Hills. I think our photos look similar to each other and mine are edited to look the same through the his theme. My work could be more similar to Hill's if I use a similar  camera to what Paul Hill uses. My work and Hills resemble similarities because we use the same techniques such as a high aperture number which is required for the best results for landscape photography because it produces a deep depth of field meaning the whole image is in focus. This would not be needed for a portrait shoot as the opposite setting would be needed to produce definition and an eye attracting area. The things I like about this photos above is how the mountain seem to be towering above which creates an intimidating feel. I don't like how the sky is quite cloudy and misty which creates a faded appearance to the mountain in the background. It produces a silhouette of the furthest mountain in the distance.





http://www.hillonphotography.co.uk/biography.php
http://photographersplace.co.uk
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/features/white-peak-dark-peak-picture-preview-2329957.html
http://www.hillonphotography.co.uk/projects.php

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Duplication/ cloning

Adding motion blur